Friday, April 13, 2007

Boston - Preparations and expectations

The training for Boston is over. The last speed workout was on Wednesday evening…during the 40th anniversary of the LP run. The workout went well and I’m about as ready as can be. The plan is to run a few easy miles today, rest on Saturday, do a few easy miles on the Charles River on Sunday and then do the 26.2 on Monday with 25,000 of my closest friends.

I leave for Boston tomorrow morning. Will start medicating this evening and should be completely numb by Monday morning. Hopefully, with the predicted heavy rain, high wind, and 39 degree temperature, I'll be so worried about staying alive that my back will not be an issue. That said, I fully expect to feel spasms somewhere around to the Newton Hills around noon. By then, I’ll have an hour and a half to finish and re-qualify for Boston next year….or four hours to finish in time for a medal ;)

Normally, I’d plan to go to Fenway park on Sunday to watch the BoSox and relax. However, current weather predictions indicate possible snow so maybe that’s out. Heck, that free pasta dinner on Sunday night may be out too if it means dealing with snow.

A couple of years ago, the temperature for the Boston Marathon was 85 degrees at the start. When you’re putting suntan lotion on before a marathon, you know it’s gonna be a long day. I’ll always remember that Boston as the “hosed” marathon as the strategy was to run through every hose and/or sprinkler on the route. I swear, I must’ve run 28 miles zig-zagging from one side of the street to the other…anything to keep cool.

Time will tell on how this year’s Boston will be remembered….

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Crazy as that weather sounds I wish I was roomin' with ya' again and running this thing. Y'all will have a blast.

Happy trails!
Scott