Friday, December 08, 2006

A new beginning

Okay, I'm back to the blog...who knows, maybe I'll get motivated enough to update runbayou.com.

Today was my second physical therapy session. So far, my take on physical therapists (at least the one I'm seeing) is that they induce less pain than massage therapists. Don't know if this is a good thing or not. That said, my back feels sore but better today.

Wednesday, I did some light upper body weight training and ran for ~24 minutes. My first run in seven, count 'em, 7 weeks. You know you've been away from running when the times are approximate and there is no mention of seconds...

Today will be ~40 minutes of running. Very slow with some walking involved if necessary.

With only 5 weeks to the Houston Marathon, the plan now is to be able to complete it within the 6 hour cutoff time. I know my running club friends (go BCRR!) will probably be gone by the time I finish. All I ask is that someone leave me a cold beer in my running bag. A Shiner Bock would be great but no doubt, anything that can wash down 800mg of Ibuprophen is gonna be welcomed!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Switch to the half this year! Oh sure, I know you've already paid for the full but I'll let ya run with me anyway.

And it won't take you 6 hours either.

Anonymous said...

Good luck, Jay! I'm at 3-1/2 weeks and counting in the pool. Hoping to be out in time to jog the 5K on marathon day. Paying back the running gods is no fun.

Gaslight ;-) said...

Woo hoo, back in the saddle again!

Hope its going well. MUST you try to run the full?

Chip Tyme said...

I'll attempt the marathon and do the run/walk thing. I have no problem bailing if my back becomes an issue.

WalkSports.com said...

It was good to see you out at the Jingle Bell Run at the turnaround.

I've encountered some hip and back issues lately myself, but I'm seeing a good chiropractor who is keeping things aligned and has given me the exercises I need to be doing to strength up.